Helpful resources for raising your pet

Useful Links

American Animal Hospital Association

American Veterinary Medical Association

American Humane Association


Assistance with Emergency Vet Bills

Care Credit

Chippewa Valley Cremation Services

Chippewa Valley Wildlife Rehabilitation


The Humane Society of the U.S.

Shelter Care Insurance

Spay Wisconsin


Pet Food Pantry

Pet Food Pantry

If you or someone you know is struggling to feed their pet, there is a program in Eau Claire that may be able help! The Eau Claire County Humane Association, along with other local businesses and individual donors, is teaming up with the St. Francis Food Pantry to provide pet food to animal guardians who need it the most. St. Francis offers these pet essentials once a month.

For more information contact the Food Pantry at (715) 839-7706.

Helpful Resources:

information for you and your pet.

Raising a pet can be difficult. Most days it is as easy as eat, sleep, play, but there is more to think about when it comes to your companion animal. Your pet will depend on you for everything from nourishment and exercise, to medical attention safety. Be sure you are completely prepared for anything that arises by using the helpful resources below.

Pet Transitional Living Program

Pets are an important part of the family in many households. However, if domestic violence is prevalent, the family pet may become a victim also.

An abuser may threaten, batter, or kill the family pet in order to maintain power and control over his/her victim(s). Many victims of domestic violence will not seek shelter for themselves, especially if there is no safe place for their animal companions to go.

The Pet Transitional Living Program was created to provide temporary shelter for all members of the family in danger.

Download the PTLP brochure.

Pet Friendly Landlords

The Eau Claire County Human Association encourages renters to check with their landlords BEFORE entering into an adoption contract to ensure the property allows pets. For information on pet friendly landlords in our area, please call the shelter and speak to our adoption staff.

Neighboring Animal Shelters

If you do not find the pet you are looking for at our animal shelter, we encourage you to check out listings at other local animal shelters and rescue organizations. Purchasing a pet from a breeder or newspaper advertisement can just add to the pet overpopulation problem in our community. Always consider giving a homeless animal a chance first!

View neighboring animal shelters.

Licensing Your Pet in Eau Claire County

Please note that to obtain a pet license for ANY municipality, you must provide proof of a current rabies vaccination for that pet, including: name of vet clinic that administered the vaccine, date it was administered, date it expires, and rabies tag number.

For other questions regarding pet licensing in Eau Claire County, you can call the Eau Claire County Humane Association at (715) 839-4747 or the city/municipality you reside in. The Eau Claire County Humane Association does sell licenses for certain municipalities including the City of Eau Claire.

View where you can license your pet.

Microchip Identification

Become reunited with your pet in the case that you are ever separated with help from the permanent Microchip ID. Each animal adopted from our shelter is implanted with a unique microchip between their shoulder blades. Once equipped with the microchip, the pet is enrolled in 24PetWatch, a company that keeps a database of microchip users.

When a lost pet is recovered, the microchip will be scanned at an animal shelter or veterinary clinic and the owner notified immediately. The procedure is simple and similar to administering a vaccine.

We can also microchip your existing pets for $25 plus tax. For more information contact one of our Adoption Coordinators at (715) 839-4747 ext. 21. You can also get microchip identification for your existing pets from your veterinarian. If you have a pet that was microchipped at ECCHA, it is important to keep your contact information up-to-date, so we will be able to find you if your pet ends up at our facility as a stray.

If you move or change your phone number, you can update your contact information by calling 24PetWatch at 1-866-597-2424, or by logging on to These services are available 24/7.